On Tuesday, October 18th, 2005, it was gathered a launching event for the new Clean Air Initiative Center for Latin American cities (CAI-LAC Center) at the World Bank Headquarters. The meeting served as an opportunity to welcome the development of the Clean Air Initiative into an autonomous CAI-LAC Center, present the members of the CAI-LAC center’s board of directors and the new executive director, and discuss the work plan. The agenda was as follows:
1. Opening Remarks
- Ken Newcombe, WB
- Representative from Sao Paulo
2. The Clean Air Initiative Center status and order for the day
3. Board of Directors: presentation and Rules of Procedure for the Board of Directors: Presentation of members and adoption of Rules and Procedures.
- Board of Directors:
- Jaime Lerner, ex-Mayor of Curitiba, ex-Governor of Parana State in Brazil;
- Robert Watson, Chief Scientist World Bank, ex-Chairman of IPCC;
- Jose Serra, Mayor of Sao Paulo;
- Jose Felix Garcia, President ARPEL (oil&gas association);
- Mirta Roses Periago, Director of PAHO;
- Axel Friedrich, Transport and air quality expert.
- Mario Molina, Nobel Laureate;
4. Presentation of Executive Secretary and adoption of Work Plan
5. Message from representatives of Member Cities.
- Representatives from the City of Lima and Callao, Peru
- Representatives from the City of México
6. Summary of Decisions and Closure