The Chulabhorn Research Institute, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Ministry of Public Health, and
World Health Organization
United Nations Environment Programme
Asian Development Bank
United Nations Development Programme
The Scientific Conference will be organized back to back with the Second High-Level Meeting and attended by participants of the High-Level Meeting. The scientific recommendations of the Conference would be a source of inputs for consideration of the Meeting.
The recommendations and outcomes, with focus on ASEAN and East Asia, taking into account the economic dynamism; quest for state of the art science and technology; the thirst for learning and knowledge; the diverse and longcultural traditions and practices which respects the old and incorporates the new; and a record of cooperation between and amongst the countries, are envisaged to include:
- Significant, emerging and priority areas for research at the interface of environment, health and development, addressing current challenges and importantly to foster a broader vision of new paradigms emerging from the interactions in multi-disciplinary areas to create new knowledge and technological innovations addressing human needs.
- Differentiated needs for capacity building and training to support the Millennium Development Goals.
- Promoting and facilitating the introduction of pedagogically unique education that will fuse research and teaching, enhancing enquiry and the search for knowledge and innovations.
- Information and data dissemination and exchange systems on environmental health, drawing upon the advances in information and communication technologies and systems.
- Mechanisms and means to foster and support collaboration amongst disciplines, countries, and major stake holders. These will build upon the significant and priority scientific challenges, which would then drive the forms and structures needed.
- A Network of public and private sectors scientific institutions for collaborative research, education, training and capacity building, to support regional initiatives and the envisaged Regional Forum.
- Proceedings and an Executive Summary of the Scientific Conference.